Student Training and Outcomes
- CCME has graduated our first four students, including a B.S. who has rejoined the program as a Master’s student, and a M.S. who has entered the STEM workforce at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.
- CCME currently has a total of 63 active graduate and undergraduate scholars (4 community college transfers, 22 first time in college undergraduates, 27 Master’s students, and 10 PhD students).
- One CCME Scholars has successfully competed to participate in R/V Okeanos Explorer training opportunities (July 2018).
- One CCME Scholar was awarded a slot on the Gulf of Maine Harmful Algal Bloom Cyst Cruise (August 2018).
- Five CCME Graduate Scholar NERTOs have been completed with NOAA researchers at NMFS, OCM, and a National Marine Sanctuary (Summer 2018).
- One CCME Graduate Scholar has completed the National Water Center Innovators Program Summer Institute 2018 in preparation of her NERTO to take place in the Summer of 2019.
- One CCME Graduate Scholar has completed training with NOAA researchers at NWS.
- Eight CCME Scholars attended CHOW with support provided by NOS and OAR.
- CCME Research focuses on the areas of Coastal Resilience, Coastal Intelligence and Place-Based Conservation. Examples of completed NERTOs in these three focal areas include:
- Coastal Resilience – NERTO Completed: CCME Scholar Cristina Madrid, Resilient Communities: Local Disaster Coordination in the Rio Grande Valley
NERTO mentor: Kim Penn, OCM and Dr. Melissa Kenney, University of Maryland ESSIC/NOAA CICS
- Coastal Intelligence – NERTO Completed: CCME Scholar Nigel Lascelles, Chemical Characterization of Microplastics Polymers for CSC Graduate Student
NERTO mentor: Dr. Ashok Deshpande, Sandy Hook, NMFS/Northeast Fisheries Science Center
- Place-Based Conservation – NERTO Completed: CCME Scholar Anthony Lima,
Inter-agency Cooperation, Policy, and Management of the Gulf of Mexico Fishery
NERTO mentor: Dr. Scott Large, NMFS/ Northeast Fisheries Science Center
- NOAA CCME Center Director Dr. Larry Robinson appointed to Federal STEM Education Advisory Panel.
- CCME engaged with NOAA personnel, including NOS Deputy Assistant Administrator Nicole Le Boeuf and the Director of the Southeast Fisheries Science Center (SEFSC) Dr. Clay Porch, at the second Annual Meeting jointly held at the Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory and SEFSC in Miami, FL.
- CCME held its inaugural Advisory Council meeting, August 29, 2018.
- CCME held its second Stakeholder Advisory Board committee meeting conference call, August 1, 2018.
- CCME has worked with an external evaluator to develop an evaluation plan template that will be utilized across all four NOAA Cooperative Science Centers.
- CCME also hosted a center-wide student orientation teleconference call on August 29, 2018 for the start of the 2018-2019 academic year.